Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2009

A Father's Day Post



As prompted by an especially thoughtful sibling I am making this Father's Day post to share a memory or two that I fondly recall when I think of Dad. Of course what immediately comes to mind are all the times we shared outdoors while camping, walking, hiking, biking, swimming, scouting, soccer playing, Wiffle ball hitting, river conoeing/rafting, and so on. Thankfully (having a father who was so involved in my life) I have many memories to choose from.

The first memory that I would like to share is one of going camping/hiking in the Sierra Nevada mountains. I'm not sure how old I was but I remember we were living in CA at the time. The trip started out with a visit to Dad's friend Jim Larsen, who happened to be living in or near the mountains at the time. We then proceeded to head further in and make camp. Now the reason that this memory sticks out to me is because this was the first time I remember going on a long camping trip one-on-one together. He helped me to really appreciate the beauty of nature and learn how sharing a hobby can strengthen family relationships.

The other memory I would like to share is of countless father and son campouts we attended together. It was so fun to pack up a tin foil dinner made with kilbassa, potatos, carrots and onions and go camping together. I was so proud to have a dad that would come with me, it was something I always looked forward to.

Dad, thanks for making such a positive difference in my life. I wouldn't be where I am today without it.

Happy Father's day!

Love,

Jeff

No comments: